For The Luv of Art
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community Built on Sharing Our Passion and Love For Creativity.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Time to Shop  Gallery  
12 Days of Holiday Sale - Dec. 9th thru Dec. 20th!! Save 40% on select products daily
Click to Visit the Store
free forum
Come Visit Our Blog
free forum
Visit The Gallery
free forum
Latest topics
» Lazy Sunday
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Joyful, Joyful...
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2012, 11:56 by Elisha Pharr

» Dec. Daily Cover...
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 17:31 by Elisha Pharr

» Thanksgiving Eve....
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2012, 14:08 by Elisha Pharr

» Handmade Christmas Gifts??
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 14:05 by Elisha Pharr

» Happy Monday!!
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 10:30 by Elisha Pharr

» What's on your scrap desk?
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 10:28 by Elisha Pharr

» The day after...
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Authentique Festive Collection is up on the blog!!!
Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2012, 14:18 by Elisha Pharr

Top posting users this week
No user
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Meal planning/Grocery shopping

Go down 
+4
Ashjoy
Sheri Twing
Sherry C
CKMommy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CKMommy
Art Luver
CKMommy

Meal planning/Grocery shopping Empty
PostSubject: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 11:26

How do you do it? I have been planning a weekly menu and doing my grocery shopping on Monday mornings. It's worked well but I'm still spending more of my monthly budget on groceries than I'd like...so I switched things up a bit. This Monday I planned a menu and did my grocery shopping for an entire month. I'm hoping that the fewer trips to the grocery store the less I will spend Wink
I'm planning on my husband picking up a gallon of milk on the way home from work when we need it and getting all my produce at a local food co-op (bountifulbaskets.org If you live in an area where you could get a bountiful basket you should...I LOVE it!)bountifulbaskets.org

So how do you do your menu planning/groc shopping. I'd love to hear your suggestions Smile
Back to top Go down
Sherry C
Fixative Spray
Sherry C

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 12:31

I really don't do menu planning (I know I should but I have to wait & see what I'm in the mood to eat, what the weather is like, etc.) I'm really impressed, Becki, that you're so organized. I have been thinking about trying one new recipe per week to mix it up a bit. I'm REALLY BORED with our usual fare. The ironic thing is that I collect cookbooks but don't refer to them enough.
scratch

Your co-op sounds great, I'm not sure if we have anything like that here during the winter months.
Back to top Go down
http://myfavoritethings-slc.blogspot.com/
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer
Sheri Twing

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 12:34

I'm with Sherry.....I am not organized when it comes to meal planning. I just go shopping and buy groceries, then come home and make it all work. I know the staples that I need and buy all the time so I just go with that. If I want to try something new, then I'll make a trip to get what I need. Not the most organized way to shop, I know.....Now ask me about scrapbook shopping.... Heart U
Back to top Go down
http://www.auntierere.blogspot.com/
CKMommy
Art Luver
CKMommy

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 12:38

Sherry C wrote:
I really don't do menu planning (I know I should but I have to wait & see what I'm in the mood to eat, what the weather is like, etc.) I'm really impressed, Becki, that you're so organized. I have been thinking about trying one new recipe per week to mix it up a bit. I'm REALLY BORED with our usual fare. The ironic thing is that I collect cookbooks but don't refer to them enough.
scratch

Your co-op sounds great, I'm not sure if we have anything like that here during the winter months.

LOL, I'm not sure that I'm organized. I just made a list of 30 meals (I only cook in the evening. Cereal for breakfast and sack lunches or left-overs for lunches). I don't plan what I'm going to fix each day for weeks in advance I just have the list of meals so that I know what meals I have all the ingredients for...does that make sense?
Collecting cookbooks...how fun! I love to read cookbooks, I don't have a lot of them but I do check them out from the library all the time!
Back to top Go down
Sherry C
Fixative Spray
Sherry C

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 13:39

I know.....Now ask me about scrapbook shopping....

This made me laugh, Sheri! You're right; SB shopping is a totally different beast! Smile

Becki, You ARE organized if you have 30 meals listed. I don't even have 30 meals in my repertoire (well, maybe if I count take out & restaurant meals!) lol I love your concept. You've just inspired me to go crack my dusty cookbooks open! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer
Sheri Twing

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 19:40

Sherry C wrote:
I don't even have 30 meals in my repertoire (well, maybe if I count take out & restaurant meals!) lol I love your concept. You've just inspired me to go crack my dusty cookbooks open! Thanks.

LOL, I don't think I do either! Maybe we should start a recipe sharing thread here on the site so we can share some recipes! I know my family would probably appreciate it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.auntierere.blogspot.com/
Sherry C
Fixative Spray
Sherry C

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 20:33

Sheri Twing wrote:
Sherry C wrote:
I don't even have 30 meals in my repertoire (well, maybe if I count take out & restaurant meals!) lol I love your concept. You've just inspired me to go crack my dusty cookbooks open! Thanks.

LOL, I don't think I do either! Maybe we should start a recipe sharing thread here on the site so we can share some recipes! I know my family would probably appreciate it! Very Happy

There is one on the weight loss forum but I think it would be nice to have one on the main board too.
Just a place to share fabulous recipes regardless of the calories! lol We can ask Norma.
Back to top Go down
CKMommy
Art Luver
CKMommy

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 21:15

A recipe thread would be fun! I have a delicious Sesame Chicken recipe that I made for dinner tonight Smile
Back to top Go down
CKMommy
Art Luver
CKMommy

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 21:19

Sherry C wrote:
I know.....Now ask me about scrapbook shopping....

This made me laugh, Sheri! You're right; SB shopping is a totally different beast! Smile

Becki, You ARE organized if you have 30 meals listed. I don't even have 30 meals in my repertoire (well, maybe if I count take out & restaurant meals!) lol I love your concept. You've just inspired me to go crack my dusty cookbooks open! Thanks.

Hey, I'm a scrapbook shopping-a-holic....lets just say that's where I should be focusing on budgeting LOL

I'm glad I inspired you Smile Let me know if you find any good recipes, I may start my list for next month Wink
BTW...I did duplicate a few favorite recipes. I don't have 30 different recipes in my repertoire either Wink
Back to top Go down
Ashjoy
Permanent Marker
Ashjoy

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 19th 2011, 21:27

We buy meats when they are on sale and then just get the fresh stuff as needed. I can't shop that far ahead or stuff goes back before it's gone.
Back to top Go down
http://1ashjoy.blogspot.com/
Lori Ness
Decorative Tape
Lori Ness

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2011, 09:45

Oh, Becki, I want to be like you! I wish I could be that organized, but I fail miserably! I've been struck dumb lately when it comes to making meals. Sometimes I feel like I work so hard at it and all the kids do is pick at it. I would love some fresh ideas, I'm in such a rut!

I make a good sized grocery run every couple weeks but still end up at the store for at least once, sometimes twice, for groceries.

I would love a recipe forum and add me to the list of recipe book collectors, dusty ones!

I'd love to see a sample of the dinners you have planned. I suppose once you have a concrete list, you could use it over and over again and just switch it up every once and awhile. I'll have to noodle over this and start a list of my own.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Back to top Go down
ReneeLamb
Creative Designer
ReneeLamb

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2011, 11:09

Put me in the club with the rest of you ladies! I am NOT organized on my meal planning except I know that each week it's tacos, chicken and rice, cereal and then winging it. LOL

so pitiful. I know I spend more on groceries than whats necessary. I'm definitely going to have to find a system and a budget.
Back to top Go down
http://reneelamb.wordpress.com
maddawg
Art Luver
maddawg

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2011, 11:35

we kinda fly by the seat too. we do shopping - our meat and some stuff at sam's, mostly publix and somedays (because i wanna ride my bike to the store more than anything else) i just buy stuff for a supper then. also every couple of days i need to stock up on salad stuff. i eat a salad everyday. soooo.....and mostly dh does the cooking, all that's necessary is to get it out in the a.m. to thaw. (snort) however neither one of really do mornings so................
Back to top Go down
simplyamom3
Art Luver
simplyamom3

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2011, 10:54

I am with the rest of you, I only plan out the week meals on Monday and that usually doesn't stick. I end up making what I am in the mood for than what I planned.

This Winter I have cut a big chunk out of my grocery spending. First off I don't shop at Walmart for groceries. I only go once a month for staple stuff that I need and I shop with a list. I have also started spreading my meals out, like Chili, we eat it one night then another night I use it to make chili pies or Chili dogs. I also have one night that we do can soup and grilled cheese or salads and sandwichs. We also do Pizza on Monday becuse they are 5.00 dolors at Pizza Hut or Wings on Wednesday for 20 cents a peice. I could not cook a meal for this price! My meat I have started buying in bulk what is on sale and freezing it. Like this week ground beef was on sale so I bought three instead of one.
Back to top Go down
http://simply-me-jennifer.blogspot.com/
CKMommy
Art Luver
CKMommy

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2011, 11:04

Not shopping for groceries at walmart...Amen!!! That was the first thing I did when trimming my grocery budget. I've found that even the smaller "hometown" grocery stores are often cheaper and MUCH better quality!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meal planning/Grocery shopping   Meal planning/Grocery shopping Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Meal planning/Grocery shopping
Page 1 of 1