For The Luv of Art
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community Built on Sharing Our Passion and Love For Creativity.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Time to Shop  Gallery  
12 Days of Holiday Sale - Dec. 9th thru Dec. 20th!! Save 40% on select products daily
Click to Visit the Store
free forum
Come Visit Our Blog
free forum
Visit The Gallery
free forum
Latest topics
» Lazy Sunday
The Future Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Joyful, Joyful...
The Future Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2012, 11:56 by Elisha Pharr

» Dec. Daily Cover...
The Future Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 17:31 by Elisha Pharr

» Thanksgiving Eve....
The Future Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2012, 14:08 by Elisha Pharr

» Handmade Christmas Gifts??
The Future Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 14:05 by Elisha Pharr

» Happy Monday!!
The Future Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 10:30 by Elisha Pharr

» What's on your scrap desk?
The Future Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 10:28 by Elisha Pharr

» The day after...
The Future Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Authentique Festive Collection is up on the blog!!!
The Future Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2012, 14:18 by Elisha Pharr

Top posting users this week
No user
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

The Future

Go down 
+2
CarrieF.
ReneeLamb
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ReneeLamb
Creative Designer
ReneeLamb

The Future Empty
PostSubject: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 12:41

This got me thinking after a conversation with several co-workers.

I just wonder since computers do so much of the thinking for all of us now, will companies keep their cost down on manpower and start using more robots? I started thinking of this after hearing that a robot was on Jeopardy last week.

And as a society, do you think we are more entitled and "dumb"? It's sad that our kids today don't even know what the dewey decimal system is. Or even what an encylopedia is. All they know is Google and if the computer can't help them find it, the world shuts down.

It's not just the young kids, I'm guilty of some of it too. I love having the ease at my fingertips but I just wonder if it's really doing all of us a disservice by taking away our basic survival instincts and use of other parts of our brain. It's sad when little kids struggle with using their imagination....almost makes me wish we could go back to simpler times before all the latest gadgets.

But then I think I'd rather give my left arm than give up my Android Phone! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://reneelamb.wordpress.com
CarrieF.
Life Artisit
CarrieF.

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 13:56

renne, everytime i hear my dad tell stories of when he was growing up {and he's been telling alot of great stories lately} i think of this issue.

Back to top Go down
http://carrieferrier.blogspot.com/
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer
Sheri Twing

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 14:26

This is a great topic Renee with probably a lot of mixed opinions.

I do agree...while technology is wonderful and has improved our lives, it has also taken away much. I'm always saddened by the fact that kids now are sitting in front of the tv with Wii's and Xbox instead of the creative play we used to do while outside. What happened to making mud pies and playing in the backyard, exploring? Now instead of phone calls with voices interacting, its all in a text. There's barely even hellos and goodbyes. Now instead of handwriting cards or letters, it's an email, so we don't have those wonderful handwritten sentiments.

So I think with every advancement there is something that is lost. But with the advancement you also get closer to things like cancer being cured and lives saved because communication is so much quicker, etc. It's definitely a give and take!

I'm like you though, just don't dare touch away my iPhone!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.auntierere.blogspot.com/
alligatorally
Digital Designer
alligatorally

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 14:29

oh yes.

I homeschool and we use BOOKS. I want my girls to know how to find out things for themselves.

I do think as a whole, most people just don't get it unless google says so.
Back to top Go down
http://www.makenziandmadilyn.com
*ANDREA*AMU*
Permanent Marker
*ANDREA*AMU*

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 14:54

I think it's a scary world that we are facing!
I think that it's sad that kids today don't have some of the same experiences and lessons that we had or that our parents had growing up. Sure, technology is an amazing advancement, but I do believe it's also a diservice to us as well. I've often thought about robots taking over, and hey, it very well could happen... not good for the working class!
Back to top Go down
http://imlivinonscraps.blogspot.com/
ReneeLamb
Creative Designer
ReneeLamb

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 15:27

Like y'all I love the fact that technology has given us so much. Especially in the advances in medical and science. I guess I just want my cake and eat it too. More so for the children in the upcoming generations.

I never thought I'd be one of those parents that talk about back in the old days (which to me is only 1980) and how we were outside from sun up to sun down, tv was only on for an hour at night and on Saturdays for cartoons. Not to mention having to use our imaginations with our toys because they didn't make sounds to keep me entertained. The kids laugh when we talk about records and cassettes, and that our first "nintendo" was the old atari with a joystick. but I think about how much has changed in the 30 years since I"ve been alive and am in awe and fear.

I just wonder if we are headed to a Terminator remake but in real form! hahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
http://reneelamb.wordpress.com
maddawg
Art Luver
maddawg

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitimeFebruary 22nd 2011, 16:50

i think of that every time i hear play dates. back when i was kid we went hunting through 'hood to find kids to play with. when mom yelled that it was time to go home. we went home.i love it that when i married dh we lived in a place where my shane could do that.

i could see the writing on the wall when i was an operator when the cordboard became automated. then when i worked as a secretary you could see it coming with the advent of voicemail and when everyone got their own pc's. now everyone can type their own memo's, etc. and answer their own phones.

and its happening even more. now 1 person now does the work of 5.

AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ABOUT AUTOMATED PHONE ATTENDANTS. grrrr!! when i call somewhere i wanna freaking LIVE body. you can get locked up in them puppies for a week. very FRUSTRATING.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Future Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Future   The Future Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Future
Page 1 of 1