For The Luv of Art
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Community Built on Sharing Our Passion and Love For Creativity.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Time to Shop  Gallery  
12 Days of Holiday Sale - Dec. 9th thru Dec. 20th!! Save 40% on select products daily
Click to Visit the Store
free forum
Come Visit Our Blog
free forum
Visit The Gallery
free forum
Latest topics
» Lazy Sunday
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeDecember 18th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Joyful, Joyful...
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeDecember 6th 2012, 11:56 by Elisha Pharr

» Dec. Daily Cover...
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 17:31 by Elisha Pharr

» Thanksgiving Eve....
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeNovember 26th 2012, 14:08 by Elisha Pharr

» Handmade Christmas Gifts??
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeNovember 21st 2012, 14:05 by Elisha Pharr

» Happy Monday!!
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 10:30 by Elisha Pharr

» What's on your scrap desk?
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 10:28 by Elisha Pharr

» The day after...
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Authentique Festive Collection is up on the blog!!!
ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeNovember 5th 2012, 14:18 by Elisha Pharr

Top posting users this week
No user
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

ok...learning to use my camera...

Go down 
+2
Sheri Twing
ReneeDezember
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

ok...learning to use my camera... Empty
PostSubject: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 14:39

...is going to drive me to drink! I have taken more pictures in the last few weeks...then I have in the last 6 months...and they all SUCK...I had decided that I was going to figure out this camera and start taking better photos but they all SUCK...do I just give in and quit and go back to the old way or stick with it...I'm so frustrated!
Back to top Go down
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer
Sheri Twing

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 14:44

Renee, what kind of camera are you using? Are you trying to take pics manually or auto? Sorry to hear you're frustrated but maybe one of us can help?
Back to top Go down
http://www.auntierere.blogspot.com/
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 14:51

I have a Rebel Xti that I've had now for several years...and I guess I'm trying to learn to take pictures manually right? auto...was what I also did before...I'm noticing lately there's some specks of dust on my lens...and I'm having some troubles getting them to auto focus even...it's driving me crazy...I want to get better at taking pictures inside...the color is ALWAYS off...even when I'm trying to take photos of my projects...
Back to top Go down
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer
Sheri Twing

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 16:15

I'll tell you, I had the hardest time learning manual. That whole aperature/shutter speed/iso thing I just couldn't get the hang of. I finally took a couple of classes. I've taken Karen Russell's class and Maggie Holmes class. Now, I still don't take pics like either one of them, but I learned so much from both classes. I finally "got it" with the whole triangle of the aperature/shutterspeed/iso. I'm still learning myself, and am always trying to advance. Every so often I go back through my photo classes to pick up what I missed the first time around.

So, I don't know if classes are an option for you right now. They are pricey but well worth it. However, no matter how worth it they are, if the funds are not available, it doesn't matter! I get that!. Another option might be to try Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book. It's really, really good! He has some really great practical instructions. Here's the link.

A good lens can also make a huge difference in your photos. I had the kit lens that came with my camera and then as I became more knowledgeable, I invested in some higher quality lenses and I can tell you, the difference is astounding!

Here's a link to some camera recommendations on Karen's blog.

I know there are a lot of great photographers online here at the forum so I'm sure they'll have probably more info for you.....I hope this helps at least a little!
Back to top Go down
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 16:23

I haven't used the kit lens at all...I bought a 28-135mm several years ago but maybe it's already time to upgrade...right now I'm taking Candice Stringham's class and I'm just really frustrated...maybe there's just too much "crap" going on in my life...and I am just not focusing as well as I should be...
Back to top Go down
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 20:19

I am happy to announce I was working in manual this afternoon and actually took a photo I liked Smile yeahhhh me! lol
Back to top Go down
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer
Sheri Twing

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 7th 2011, 23:02

That's great Renee!!! We'd love to see them!
Back to top Go down
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2011, 15:19

ok ... my camera and I have a LOVE - HATE relationship...we are def. on the OUTS again! seriously...I don't know what I am going to do with it...I think I am about to throw it against the wall!
Back to top Go down
miranda
Digital Designer
miranda

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2011, 18:00

Don't throw it Renee, wondering how your class is going wanted to take it but was to late. Have a new DSLR, and want to start shooting manual too. I am thinking of you girl, LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.strawberryblond.web-log.nl
Ksimmonds
Digital Designer
Ksimmonds

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 10th 2011, 20:11

I have a question? You said you were having difficulty with auto focus. I just took a class using the manual modes only and the instructor said that you have to focus the camera in those modes.

I have found that anything in AV mode where you go below 60 apreture you would want a tripod, those photos are usually clear close up (focus subject) and the background has a nice blur. If you use the same setting and go to lets say an F/8 or F/11 the item is still in focus and the area behind/around starts to get clearer and then if you go to lets say F/13 or F/22 The whole frame will be in focus.

I was also told you don't need the tripod if it is over 60 apreture. That is you see those numbers flashing it means you are down too low for the light and need to bring it up.

Of course this is all great, until you have to do it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.glittershineandbling.blogspot.com
alligatorally
Digital Designer
alligatorally

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2011, 09:38

Renee I think you are too hard on yourself.
It will be okay.

Have a glass of wine and try again.... just don't give up!

I am there with you though... I am not good at the manual mode yet and I figure I will be learning for quite a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.makenziandmadilyn.com
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2011, 19:32

Ksimmonds wrote:

I have a question? You said you were having difficulty with auto focus. I just took a class using the manual modes only and the instructor said that you have to focus the camera in those modes.

I have found that anything in AV mode where you go below 60 apreture you would want a tripod, those photos are usually clear close up (focus subject) and the background has a nice blur. If you use the same setting and go to lets say an F/8 or F/11 the item is still in focus and the area behind/around starts to get clearer and then if you go to lets say F/13 or F/22 The whole frame will be in focus.

I was also told you don't need the tripod if it is over 60 apreture. That is you see those numbers flashing it means you are down too low for the light and need to bring it up.

Of course this is all great, until you have to do it.

...you are RIGHT...until you have to do it! lol
Back to top Go down
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 11th 2011, 19:37

alligatorally wrote:
Renee I think you are too hard on yourself.
It will be okay.

Have a glass of wine and try again.... just don't give up!

I am there with you though... I am not good at the manual mode yet and I figure I will be learning for quite a while.

You are right...I am...I think I might drink the whole bottle with the way I have been feeling! When I'm in manual...everybody gets tired of smilin' and then we are all FRUSTRATED! lol
Back to top Go down
rebeccak
Creative Mess
rebeccak

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 11:42

Also, I have read people having focus issues and it is actually the camera not you! If there is dust on the lens or inside the camera you might need to send it to canon to be cleaned and recalibrated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myclutteredcorner.com/
ReneeDezember
Creative Mess
ReneeDezember

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitimeJune 15th 2011, 12:04

rebeccak wrote:
Also, I have read people having focus issues and it is actually the camera not you! If there is dust on the lens or inside the camera you might need to send it to canon to be cleaned and recalibrated.

...yes I know I need to do this...but the thought of being w/o it for 2 weeks or more makes me sick...but I also know how important it is to get it cleaned too...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ok...learning to use my camera...   ok...learning to use my camera... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ok...learning to use my camera...
Page 1 of 1